Jameson Bread Pudding: An Irish Dessert to Share
Most holidays have traditional foods and desserts that you only find yourself indulging in once a year, and St. Patrick’s Day is no exception. From Corned Beef and Cabbage to several whiskey-laden sweets – like our bread pudding recipe, hosting a special St. Patrick’s Day feast is the perfect excuse to get family and friends together to say “Sláinte!”
As part of our private dinner party catering services, we like to wow our clients by putting our unique spin on classic dishes. So, when Chef Bianca came across a bread pudding recipe in one of her culinary school textbooks, she decided to adapt it, making it more reminiscent of Irish Soda Bread.
To achieve a festive flavor profile, she starts by layering in thick slices of challah – a rich, braided bread that’s already a little sweet – and sprinkling in plump raisins and a simple custard mixture.
Forget the Green Beer – Try This Sweet Treat Instead!
Next? She spikes it! After all, your Irish dessert recipe isn’t complete without a little Jameson Irish whiskey if you want to get in touch with your inner leprechaun!
The result is a decadent, family-style dessert you can serve straight from the oven. Top it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or fruit puree. You can even pair it with a snifter of Jameson Whiskey or a piping hot Irish coffee.
Wherever you are this St. Patrick’s day, make sure to don some green attire (to avoid getting pinched, of course), slip into a festive spirit, and gather your loved ones ’round the table to share this delicious Irish dessert!
Planning for a St. Patrick’s Party?
Don’t forget that our private dinner party catering services can make sure there’s something for everyone on your list.
But! If you’re flying solo with your Paddy’s Day preparation and have a few hours to pull it together, this Jameson Bread Pudding recipe is a crowd-pleaser and well worth your while!
Jameson Bread Pudding Recipe
Prep: 1 hr. 30 min.
Bake: 1 hr
- ¾ cup golden raisins
- 4 oz. Jameson Irish whiskey, divided
- 1 lb. challah bread, sliced in half lengthwise, then into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 stick butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 9 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1¼ quarts milk
- Ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13″x9″ glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, soak the raisins in 2 oz. of whiskey for up to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Brush both sides of each piece of bread with melted butter. Arrange the bread slices so they overlap in the baking dish, sprinkling the raisins between the layers of bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and remaining 2 oz. of whiskey until thoroughly combined. Add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or longer, so the bread absorbs the egg mixture. If necessary, push the bread down into the pan once or twice after the mixture has had time to stand.
- When ready, sprinkle the top lightly with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Set the pan into a large pan filled with approximately 1 inch of hot water, creating a hot water bath. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, until set.
- Serve your Jameson Bread Pudding warm or cold with caramel sauce, whipped cream, ice cream, fruit puree or confectioner’s sugar.
Gather and Enjoy
Appreciate the ability to enjoy good food, quality conversation
and life's sweetest moments!
Stay Up To Date
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive cooking tips, recipes and the latest news and updates with About the Table!